Welcome to The Source of IT, my personal Open Source and Environmentally Friendly Web Design and Frontend Development project.
Open Source because I use exclusively Free and Open Source Software to design and develop Accessible, Web Standards Compliant, Professional web sites for individuals, small businesses, and charities, particularly those with environmental concerns/ethos.
Environmentally friendly because, amongst other considerations, I guarantee that all the machines in my office run on 100% renewable energy and I pledge to do my best to keep the carbon footprint of all my activities as close to zero as I can make it, no exceptions.
So, why Open Source Software?
Open Source means collaboration. Open Source means freedom. As Open Source Software is also free to use, that also means that we can both focus on getting the best possible product and not worry about budget that much.
Open Source just makes sense.
And of course, Open Source is the future.
What you can expect from me
- Stark honesty. I know what I am doing, but if there is something I don't know, I won't beat around the bush or try to fool you.
- I will always try to find the solution that works best for you, not the most profitable for me.
- Full commitment to the project. If you contact me in a moment where I cannot guarantee this I will not hide it, and if you consider it appropriate, I will try to recommend other designers/companies who may be able to help.
- Sustained communication throughout the process.
I understand that creating a new digital product for you/your company can be hard to get just right and so I will work closely with you to ensure that you are satisfied with my work at all stages of the process.
What I do not do (hat tip to Laura Kalbag for pointing it out)
- I do not work after hours unless it's an emergency, in which case different rates may have to be agreed on.
- I do not offer long term web site maintenance. If your project is likely to require this, I'll either set you up with a Content Management System (CMS) or try to advise the best possible solution.
- While I am happy to set your site up with your hosting service, I do not purchase either domains or hosting services for you. If you need advise on this I can give you my personal preferences or ask for other colleagues' to give you more options.
I hope you have found this information useful and I look forward to working with you.